"To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said,

'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."


- SNOW & ROSE by Emily Winfield Martin


Friday, March 2, 2012

A Review: Red Deception by J.C. Murtagh

Hello there! I finally have another review to share - 
I have been on a reading frenzy! I have a ton more of reviews to share, but I haven't been able to stop reading to type them up, lol! So be prepared to see a lot of them in the next few days :) 


Title: Red Deception 
Author: J.C. Murtagh 
Release Date: 12/28/2011
Age Group: 18+ 
Publisher: Jennifer Casale 
Available Formats: Paperback (65 pages), Kindle 
Author's Sites: Website, Blog, Twitter 

From Goodreads: 
"Judith Timbolt lives a life of poverty and servitude until the day she finds a new beginning in the hands of the deceased, Lady Lora Noire. Donning her red cloak and identity, Judith embarks on a fairytale life she could only dream of. When she steals the heart of the powerful Baron Blacwin, her dreams become a reality. 

Will Judith's fairytale unravel or will she be able to uphold her falsehood under the cloak of deception she has weaved?"


Sounds really good, right???
Yes, it is a really good "quick" read, really good,
I really struggled with how to review this book, and here's why...

Right away we're introduced into Judith Timbolt's life, she is a wife, mother and daughter-in-law. Her husband seems timid and in denial, her son is sweet and a typical boy, and her in-laws are mean and abusive towards her. By page 4 Judith is ready to run away from it all and start a new life.
I told you it was a quick, fast moving story.

I feel that the book/story was shortened for space and it was squished into the 64 short pages -
I would have liked to have seen more of Judith's personality, her thoughts and her reasons for doing the things that she did. Why and how was she able to leave her little boy behind so quickly, why and how was she able to leave her new situation by the next day and go back to her old life. It felt like she made her decisions to quickly and forced - did she really want to go back because she missed her son, or did it have more to do with the fact that her true identity was about to be revealed - a bit of both?

The story is good! The story is there! I want more!!!
I feel that this book was more of a novella or intro - this story can easily gain another 100 or even 200 pages!

The writing, not too sure - the story flowed well but I was distracted with all of the grammar mistakes, and there was a lot of them. I'm not sure if the copy that I received is an ARC or not, since it doesn't say, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and going with that it is :)

I'm giving this book 3 stars - the story is good, potential - I want more ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment today!
If you are asking a question and you are a no-reply commenter,
please email me directly at thebumblegirl at rocketmail dot com or leave your email in the comments...
Thank you! and, as always, happy reading :)

 
Imagination Designs
Images by LabyrinthofDreams