"To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said,

'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."


- SNOW & ROSE by Emily Winfield Martin


Thursday, October 11, 2012

Guest Post: Marissa Moss, Author of Mira's Diary


I am very happy to welcome Marissa Moss to the blog today :)

Marissa Moss is most popular known for Amelia's Notebooks, Daphne's Diary of Daily Disasters and Max Disaster books. She has been writing and illustrating children's books for a very long time now - she submitted her first picture book when she was only nine year old! It didn't get published, but it didn't discourage her either.

For today, Marissa shares with us on how she creates her characters...   


"The Me I Wish I Could Be"
             
"There's a little bit of myself in every character I create.  Partly, that's how I get to know my characters, by drawing on my own quirks and those of people I know (one of the dangers of being friends with a writer!).  For main characters, like Amelia and Mira, these characters also become stand-ins for how I'd like to be, showing traits I wish I had. 
            Amelia is heavily based on me as a kid and the notebook I used to keep.  Except where I was gawky and awkward, Amelia uses her sense of humor to define herself.  She embraces the weirdness that I tried to hide.  When I get fan mail from girls saying they're just like Amelia, I think, “Where were you when I was a kid?”

            Mira shares my love of history and art, my compulsive need to draw everything, but she's much braver than I am.  She thinks quickly on the spot where I usually come up with the perfect come-back the next day, not the next second.  She has the same curiosity, the same willingness to experience other cultures, other times, but where I time-travel by reading and writing, she gets to do the real thing, meeting the people I'd love to meet, having the adventures I can only experience on paper.  That's one of the magical things about writing.  You can create whole worlds and people them with characters you want to know.  And those you want to be."

____________________________________________________

Thank you so much for vising Bumbles and Fairy-Tales today, Marissa!!!

You can find out more about Marissa right HERE!!!
And on her Official Website and Goodreads.  


*You can see my REVIEW 

Thank you for stopping by...
and happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment today!
If you are asking a question and you are a no-reply commenter,
please email me directly at thebumblegirl at rocketmail dot com or leave your email in the comments...
Thank you! and, as always, happy reading :)

 
Imagination Designs
Images by LabyrinthofDreams